Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pre-Arrival, January 2013

January was a much busier month in terms of Disney prep. I received my Disney Welcome Pack on January 4th. There wasn't much to it, but it was certainly exciting to see the Disney logo and Mickey on the header. It included a letter from Walt Disney World and a guide to the Disney Look. The Disney Look is something the company takes very seriously, and we are expected to be very familiar with the guidelines before our arrival. I received my visa on January 15th, which was very important. This is the document I need to work in the U.S.
 
The next major task would be to purchase travel and medical insurance for the first four months in Florida. After that, we can transition to Disney insurance. I did some research on this and asked some of the other new recruits which route they were opting for. It appeared that insurance purchased through Yummy Jobs was the most popular option. For more information, visit www.yummyjobs.com/insurance. Seven Corners (the name of the insurance company) offers many great options, all meeting the U.S. requirements and some have additional benefits. You are also able to book directly online. It was the best value at a reasonable price, so I purchased my insurance through Seven Corners on January 16th. I then emailed Kristen with the name of the insurance company along with the policy number.
 
On the same day, I also paid my Program Assessment Fee. The money goes towards buses, program events and other such expenses. When you pay this fee, an apartment and a position at Disney are officially reserved for you. This is the step that seals the deal so to speak. Walt Disney World will tell you when you can pay it; it's usually about a month before you begin.
 
For a long time, I considered bringing my car with me to Florida. I emailed Kristen and asked her opinion on this. She responded the same day, saying that when you bring a car to the U.S., you will need to have the following items:
  • Current vehicle registration, vehicle must be registered in the U.S. upon arrival.
  • Proof of U.S. insurance in participant's name (required to park at the Disney housing).
  • U.S. driver's license. For information on obtaining registration and a Florida driver's license, visit http://www.flhsmv.gov/
Kristen added that the above items are based on Florida law, however to park at housing, the Disney team will only require the U.S. insurance. If you choose not to register your car or gain a U.S. license, you would be liable for any tickets that may occur if you are pulled over, so that's something to consider. Parking at the Disney housing will be free though, and is usually at the parks as well in the employee lot.
 
I also chatted with people from the Facebook groups and asked their opinions on cars in Florida. It seems that most people are planning to make do without a car and rely on the buses. I'm sure this is perfectly doable. Of all the countries that take part in this program, Canadians are the only ones who could drive a car to Florida. There was a lot to consider here, but the thing that really tipped the scales was the fact that I would have to pay to bring my car to the U.S. This is very expensive and the process has to be repeated when you return to Canada. My parents certainly had their opinions on this as well. They went through this process themselves when they moved from Canada to the U.S.
 
The cons really seemed to outweigh the pros. This would be a big enough adjustment without throwing car worries into the mix. So, after much debate, I decided I would sell my car and fly to Orlando. Side note about the car - my dad is actually the one who bought it from me, which is nice because it will still be there when I get back!
 
Once I had made my decision about the car, I looked into flights. I booked a one-way, nonstop flight to Orlando on January 30th. It leaves Toronto at 10:35am and arrives in Orlando at 1:18pm. I have until midnight to check in, so this will allow some margin in case of delays. Also, some of my Facebook friends who have the same start date are planning to meet up at the airport. The UK group won't be arriving until 3:30-4ish, so I'll have some time to kill at the airport.
 
I sent the travel details to both Kristen and Walt Disney World International Arrivals. By this point, I had completed all of the major tasks for Disney. The only thing left for me to do is pack, but I think this will be the most difficult task of all. How do you pack for an entire year with just one suitcase? I guess we'll find out soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment